Anemia is a medical condition in which the red blood cell count or hemoglobin is less than normal. Anemia is caused by either a decrease in production of red blood cells or hemoglobin, or an increase in loss or destruction of red blood cells. Women are more susceptible to Anemia than men, especially during menstruation.
Anemia can be detected by a simple blood test called a complete blood cell count (CBC). A CBC measures several components of your blood and can help diagnose a broad range of conditions, from anemia and infection to cancer.
Below are some symptoms of Anemia:
- Lack of energy
- Weak memory
- Hair loss
- Slow healing wounds
- Premature wrinkling
- Restless leg syndrome
- Ringing in the ears
Some natural remedies:
- Incorporate iron rich food in your diet such as green leafy vegetables, asparagus, dried organic fruit, almonds, honey.
- Pomegranate is a superfruit rich in vitamins, minerals and especially iron, making it one of the best natural remedies for anemia. Add fresh ripe pomegranate seeds to your diet or drink fresh juice few times a week.
- A good source of fibre, antioxidents, vitamin C and minerals, dates are another excellent source of iron. You can eat them fresh or incorporate them in your food, such as chutney, sweet dish, etc.
- Eat plenty of citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, strawberries and kiwi or simply add a dash of lemon juice in your food or salads. These contain vitamin C which plays an important role in the absorption of iron.
- Avoid tea, coffee or anything with caffeine as they inhibit the absorption of iron in the body.
Eating a well balanced diet helps in balancing iron deficiency. However, if you suffer from other forms of anemia such as sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, pernicious anemia or hemolytic anemia, then it is best to consult your doctor.