Why I am a Hindu

Why I am a Hindu

An American girl was sitting on the right side, near window seat.

It indeed was a long journey – it would take nearly seven hours!

I was surprised to see the young girl reading a Bible – unusual of young Americans! (Later I came to know that September 11 has changed mind-set of lot of US citizens. They suddenly turned religious, it seemed.)

After some time she smiled and we had few acquaintances talk. I told her that I am from India.

Then suddenly the girl asked: “What’s your faith?”

“What?” I didn’t understand the question.

“I mean, what’s your religion? Are you a Christian? Or a Muslim?”

“No!” I replied, “I am neither Christian nor Muslim”.

Apparently she appeared shocked to listen to that.

“Then who are you…?”

“I am a Hindu”, I said.

She looked at me as if she is seeing a caged animal.

She could not understand what I was talking about.

A common man in Europe or US know about Christianity and Islam, as they are the leading religions of the world today. But a Hindu, what?

I explained to her – I am born to a Hindu father and Hindu mother. Therefore, I am a Hindu by birth.

“Who is your prophet?” she asked.

“We don’t have a prophet,” I replied.

“What’s your Holy Book?”

“We don’t have a single Holy Book, but we have hundreds and thousands of philosophical and sacred scriptures,” I replied.

“Oh, come on…at least tell me who is your God?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Like we have Yahweh and Muslims have Allah – don’t you have a God?”

I thought for a moment. Muslims and Christians believe one God (Male God) who created the world and takes an interest in the humans who inhabit it. Her mind is conditioned with that kind of belief.

According to her (or anybody who doesn’t know about Hinduism), a religion need to have one Prophet, one Holy book and one God. The mind is so conditioned and rigidly narrowed down to such a notion that anything else is not acceptable. I understood her perception and concept about faith. You can’t compare Hinduism with any of the present leading religions where you have to believe in one concept of god.

I tried to explain to her: “You can believe in one god and he can be a Hindu. You may believe in multiple deities and still you can be a Hindu. What’s more – you may not believe in god at all, still you can be a Hindu. An atheist can also be a Hindu.”
This sounded very crazy to her.

She couldn’t imagine a religion so unorganized, still surviving for thousands of years, even after onslaught from foreign forces.

“I don’t understand…but it seems very interesting. Are you religious?”

What can I tell to this American girl?

I said: “I do not go to temple regularly. I do not make any regular rituals. I have learned some of the rituals in my younger days. I still enjoy doing it sometimes.”

“Enjoy? Are you not afraid of God?”

“God is a friend. No- I am not afraid of God. Nobody has made any compulsions on me to perform these rituals regularly.”

She thought for a while and then asked: “Have you ever thought of converting to any other religion?”

“Why should I? Even if I challenge some of the rituals and faith in Hinduism, nobody can convert me from Hinduism. Because, being a Hindu allows me to think independently and objectively, without conditioning… I remain as a Hindu never by force, but choice.” I told her that Hinduism is not a religion, but a set of beliefs and practices. It is not a religion like Christianity or Islam because it is not founded by any one person or does not have an organized controlling body like the Church or the Order, I added. There is no institution or authority.

“So, you don’t believe in God?” she wanted everything in black and white.

“I didn’t say that. I do not discard the divine reality. Our scripture, or Sruthis or Smrithis – Vedas and Upanishads or the Gita – say God might be there or he might not be there. But we pray to that supreme abstract authority (Para Brahma) that is the creator of this universe.”

“Why can’t you believe in one personal God?”

“We have a concept – abstract – not a personal god. The concept or notion of a personal God, hiding behind the clouds of secrecy, telling us irrational stories through few men whom he sends as messengers, demanding us to worship him or punish us, does not make sense. I don’t think that God is as silly as an autocratic emperor who wants others to respect him or fear him.” I told her that such notions are just fancies of less educated human imagination and fallacies, adding that generally ethnic religious practitioners in Hinduism believe in personal gods. The entry level Hinduism has over-whelming superstitions too. The philosophical side of Hinduism negates all superstitions.

“Good that you agree God might exist. You told that you pray. What is your prayer then?”

“Loka Samastha Sukino Bhavantu. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti,”

“Funny,” she laughed, “What does it mean?”

“ May all the beings in all the worlds be happy. Om Peace, Peace, Peace.”

“Hmm…very interesting. I want to learn more about this religion. It is so democratic, broad-minded and free…” she exclaimed.

“The fact is Hinduism is a religion of the individual, for the individual and by the individual with its roots in the Vedas and the Bhagavad-Gita. It is all about an individual approaching a personal God in an individual way according to his temperament and inner evolution – it is as simple as that.”

“How does anybody convert to Hinduism?”

“Nobody can convert you to Hinduism, because it is not a religion, but a set of beliefs and practices. Everything is acceptable in Hinduism because there is no single authority or organization either to accept it or to reject it or to oppose it on behalf of Hinduism.”

I told her – if you look for meaning in life, don’t look for it in religions; don’t go from one cult to another or from one guru to the next.

For a real seeker, I told her, Bible itself gives guidelines when it says “Kingdom of God is within you.” I reminded her of Christ’s teaching about the love that we have for each other. That is where you can find the meaning of life.

Loving each and every creation of the God is absolute and real. ‘Isavasyam idam sarvam’ Isam (the God) is present (inhabits) here everywhere – nothing exists separate from the God, because God is present everywhere. Respect every living being and non-living things as God. That’s what Hinduism teaches you.

Hinduism is referred to as Sanathana Dharma, the eternal faith. It is based on the practice of Dharma, the code of life. The most important aspect of Hinduism is being truthful to oneself. Hinduism has no monopoly on ideas. It is open to all. Hindus believe in one God (not a personal one) expressed in different forms. For them, God is timeless and formless entity.

Ancestors of today’s Hindus believe in eternal truths and cosmic laws and these truths are opened to anyone who seeks them. But there is a section of Hindus who are either superstitious or turned fanatic to make this an organized religion like others. The British coin the word “Hindu” and considered it as a religion.

I said: “Religions have become an MLM (multi-level-marketing) industry that has been trying to expand the market share by conversion. The biggest business in today’s world is Spirituality. Hinduism is no exception…”

I am a Hindu primarily because it professes Non-violence – “Ahimsa Paramo Dharma” – Non violence is the highest duty. I am a Hindu because it doesn’t conditions my mind with any faith system.

~ Udaylal Pai

85 Responses to "Why I am a Hindu"

1. Errol  February 16, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I love the information.

2. Jayakrishna  March 21, 2014 at 3:51 am

Excellent writeup. Well said. True that Hinduism is not a religion and not controlled by anyone. A Hindu is not bound by any religious tenets or compulsions. As you mentioned an atheist can also be a Hindu.

3. Atiq  March 22, 2014 at 2:56 am

Very interesting way of promoting a faith. There are conflicts and confusions in this peace of writing and it seems like agreeing to conflicts of ‘a’ faith with no rules is called Hinduism which is not a Religion…. In my opinion a relegion is a set of rules coming from divine source for guidance of humanity addressing clear cut social, economical, legal, spiritual and practical aspects with solid examples, stories from the past and clarity of life before life and life after this life. I always considered Hinduism as a religion with pultipolar beliefs. But your writing says says it is not a religion at all.

• Sanskriti  March 22, 2014 at 3:40 am

There is no Confusion. The only confusion is that people mix up Religion with Dharma, they are very different.

Please refer to this article to understand the difference :

Also, no one is trying to “promote” the faith but it is an attempt to clarify the confusions and to deal with lack of understanding/knowledge that some people might have. Any religion/way of life/dharma does not and should not require any “promotion”. TRUTH stand by itself it doesn’t need to be advertised or preached.

• Avijit  February 1, 2015 at 5:54 am

Infact Hindu Dharma exist. “Its not a religion ,can be understood this way that “Religion” word has no antonym whereas “Adharma” is antonym of “Dharma”.So basically dharma is designed keeping in mind that nothing wrong should prevail in world.Wrong is not decided by a single person whom GOD himself said so.Its research by several rishis (who spent their lives away from worldly desires not leaving chance for favouritism).

• Sam  February 2, 2015 at 12:18 am

Excelent idea to promote hindu.but no one is gonna to take. M a Muslim and proud. Without a fix rule how you maintain your life? All things in this universe are run by rule.dnt u see the earth for simple example.

• Akhil  February 2, 2015 at 6:36 am

Brother Sam, No one is promoting anything here & I dont think the author is even wanting you to “take” it… This is what Hinduism is all about… For a Hindu we also believe in one god, Muslims and Christians have named it Hindus have not. And about a rule to maintain life. You dont need a rule to do good. If you have empathy you will not do any action that harms or hurts another person or being. And thats the simple thought of “Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhawantu” Which means May every being in the world be happy.

• siddharth  September 11, 2015 at 12:32 am

so even robots and machines are run by rules…do you want to become one…I guess not…god has given each one of us individuality and consciousness so we can decide on our own and not act like insentient beings such as earth…:)

• Akshita  November 29, 2015 at 2:37 am

Dear, It just depends on the way you think. Did they mention anywhere in this article that they want you to take this idea or they want you to adopt Hinduism? I just wanna make one thing very clear, we don’t NEED people to join our religion. We just want everyone to respect it. You can’t critisize it on the basis of your thinking and without any proof. We all are too small to understand the thinking of god. You are talking about rules? Let me tell you one thing, our religion is well organised (or if in case you think its not, then too we are following and understanding our religion very well. In that case, we don’t need any. After all, hinduism has been lasting from a very very long time.) We don’t say our religion or our god is better than any other one. It’d be silly if we get engage in such debates because ultimately, we are worshiping some or the other GOD and god is never inferior. So, follow your own specific religion but respect everyone’s faiths and religions..

• luck_matters  February 2, 2015 at 5:39 am

Yea you won’t like it.your real faith lies in ISIS and killing people in the name of God

4. Bathma  March 22, 2014 at 9:59 am

Very nicely said, so proud to be a hindu:-)

5. Viraj Didwania  March 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Wonderful article.
    Hinduism is not easy to understand, hence easy to criticize.
    I like the simplicity with which this article puts forth some of the important tenets of Hinduism which are difficult for many people to understand.
    Many of my Christian and Muslim friends dont understand when I tell them that I am a God Loving person and not a God Fearing person. I think of the divine as my friend.

6. Darrel  March 31, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Then of course there is the caste system.

• Sanskriti  March 31, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Outsiders, especially from the West do not fail to throw out the caste system card every chance they get. Before pointing this out, you might want to use the search option on the website to educate yourself further on the matter instead of trying to put down something you fail to understand. The Britishers were the real reason behind the caste system to promote hate and divide to rule the large population of India. Here are a few links if you wish to educate yourself on the caste system and how it has been and continues to be abused by people in power. Apparently they learned well from the British.

Then, of course there is the racism issue and superiority complex of those who feel every other race and faith (that they are unable to comprehend) is beneath them. Also, don’t forget the class system of Europe which divides the society on a different level altogether.

• Amrik  March 31, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Well said Sanskriti… Two thumbs up!!

• John  March 31, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Not all in the West are this ignorant. I do know and understand what and how the Caste System was played in India and how important it was for that time for social structure. It is all about doing research and paying attention.

This is a very good website with great content for the seekers.

• AwakeMySoul  February 1, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Still in India, in many colleges we get seats according to the seat allotted to our caste. Also in few temples there were cases where people from particular caste were not allowed. There were sati and even child sacrifices. We do not have to blame everything on British. Still there are people with their family gods. They build an altar with bricks or tie a saree on a tree and apply turmeric powder and other auspicious items on it. They do rituals to it but they believe in other gods too. God is not for our convenience. Also God is not someone who comes to world and marry a girl or many. God is someone who is beyond our knowledge. But God is a lovable God and that’s why he came to earth, not as a king in a palace but as a humble person in a poor family. He showed the way to live and for eternal life. Bible is not only about Jesus and his teachings. It is a book of history, prophecies and way of life. It’s not about fantasy stories too. There are lot of archeological evidences for the events in the bible. Why I’m a Hindu? Coz My parents are.

• siddharth  September 11, 2015 at 12:44 am

though god could have an illicit relationship with a girl…like christ(remember the tom hanks movie)…but this need not be brought up…according to one of the philosophies in sanatan dharm we all have god in us…and when realise it and utilise it to the full potential we ourselves become god in the living world…thus we have such varities of god from a banyan tree to great kings…:)

7. Darrel  March 31, 2014 at 7:39 pm

John, with all due respect, the caste system has existed since ancient times. The British made it what some would say “easier to administer” and used it to place people in certain places of employment etc. This has been a convenient and unfortunate fallback for many. Heck. let’s blame the British.
    Although it has been illegal for a long time, please do not try to convince me or any others that it does not exist to this day, just as unofficial classes exist in North America. Let’s just say that things aren’t all rainbows and roses in India. I have spent a number of months traveling in various parts of India and have seen first hand, many of the effects of this system. It is very hard to work your way up in this system without migrating, which is also next to impossible for many.
    I’ll certainly keep an open mind on this and agree things have improved vastly, but it’s still there for those who choose not to bury their heads in the sand.

• Indie Boy  July 5, 2014 at 7:48 am

With due respect, beg to disagree.
      I am brahmin working as manager in Bangalore. Traveled in the west and within India.

It is less about caste, more about other factors. My team has people from across the country and possibly across castes (I do not know their castes). Some of the top performers whom I have ‘fastracked’ are not brahmins or upper castes for sure.
      Rickshaw pullers in North India are poor brahmins.
      It is more like US. Blacks are likely to be poorer. Italian American, Indian Americans, etc… All these would form their own communities and gradually will create their own sub-cultures. Eventually in the US, these will be something close to a caste. Later, someone like you would come and say that “USA religion” follows caste system and he has seen it.

• Avijit  February 1, 2015 at 6:09 am

It really still exists in remote villages.But per my knowledge and understanding its not part of religion. Infact in ancient India case system was based on job you do.Every kid after age of 7 yrs had to be admitted in gurukula leaving his parent where his qualities and interests were researched and identified by gurus or teachers.From there he was shaped and made expert in one field.This was empowerment.It was time of kings and kingdoms.But what if some parent don’t want to send their kid to gurukul. So with time it eroded and it took face of caste by birth.

• Nandakishore N  February 1, 2015 at 6:54 am

Caste system is a social evil, just like racism against blacks in the Western society. Didn’t the European and Western world promote slavery? Yes it’s NOT all rainbows and roses in India, but in which society is it so? Human race itself is full of prejudices and insecurities and powerful manipulating those sans power.
      This website is meant to remove some of the misconceptions about Hinduism in their own way. That’s bcz today there’s ever more threat to Hinduism. Just like in the Christian society, Atheism is in the rise and everybody on the globe has got the right to uphold their faith.
      It’s the sign of cultured existence to NOT interfere in such matters and overlook them which are NOT of your concern. This post is NOT for hate-mongering people like you and Wendy Doniger.

8. Prithvishan  April 13, 2014 at 3:52 am

Proud to be a Hindu,

9. Rahul  July 5, 2014 at 6:28 am

I don’t know if Hinduism includes such a broad minded philosophy or not. but I really feel the need of such a concept in every being.
    ” LOKA SAMASTA SUKHINO BHAWANTU”

10. sreedhar  July 5, 2014 at 6:50 am

Darrel,
    Caste system was there. It is for only to seperate people according to thier nature and professional skills not for discrimination. Evidance for this is Yadavs in north are higher cast, south low cost and also every cast in india ruled kingdoms. Discrimination started from British rule as they didnt understand real concept of the system and thier very own concept of divide and rule. We all know abt racism in europe as every other country thinks they r superior in the whole world. Even today Rasicm i predominant in Europe regardless of preaching no rasicm in football matches.
    Caste system or Varna described in Bhagvadgita is talks abt very own nature of Human Being and thier natural skills nt according to thier birth family. Brahma is the knowledge, kshatriya is the strong physical n will power, vysya business mind, shudra is hardworking mind. All these presents in one single Human body bt one of these charecteristic will be predominant.
    In British rule as per western philosophy they didnt understand intangibles n deeper meanings of Hindusim so they coined caste system and made it tangibles and tagged it to the indviduals for generations.ofcourse i agree it is still present in India which still in hangover of British rule and in dominance of western world.

11. Anil Madgavkae  December 21, 2014 at 6:40 am

The preachings of all religions are about one GOD and about living a pure life and loving everyone !! Unfortunately, the practise of different religions is totally the opposite. Till we learn to practise what is preached, religion will always be the biggest divider of people !!!

Almost every war, since time immemorial, has been fought on religious hatred !! Christians, muslims, etc have all fought wars and gone around conquering other countries, raping and looting and converting in the name of religion !!

Only Hindus have never gone to war or captured other countries or propogate religion through forced conversions.!! They have been the most peaceful and culturally advanced people in the yester years !!

Unfortunately, things are fast changing in present times, in India, with fanatical hindus groups trying to convert people and make war with other religions, thereby giving Hinduism a bad name !!

We, Hindus have to learn to live the Hindu way of life, not the present fanatical narrow minded, stupid way of life !!

We need to embrace one and all on equal terms and live life as equals…….as true HINDUS !!! No castes, no creeds !!!

• prashanth  February 1, 2015 at 4:23 am

Sir I am not fanatic hindhu. In ancient time
      Hindhu way of life was lead in major portion of the world from Afghan to Korea..what is the situation now?..only India and Nepal left for people who follow Hindu way of life. We are not against any religion that’s why all religions survived in India. In my view Hindu fanatics(as u said) not attacking any religion just protecting the way of life for next generation.

• Shanmugasundaram  February 4, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Sir don’t worry nobody needs to protect Hinduism as it has survived for thousands og years inspite of all odfd.i am sure it will survive ahead of times. Only longing is people don’t realise the great philosophy!

• Avijit  February 1, 2015 at 6:21 am

So you should also learn that same hindu dharma teaches not to spare the adharmis. Dont you think those who killed crores of hindus and still killing ,converted them forcibly were adharmis? So should not we follow our dharma to destroy them. Hindu dharma encourages non violence but not cowardice.

“Ahimsa parmo dharma ,Dharma himsa tathiva cha”
      Non-violence is ultimate dharma ,so too is violence in service of dharma.

And for we hindus ,dharma is which is fair. Adharma is unfair.

12. r.sundararaman  December 21, 2014 at 10:00 am

The delicate subject is very nicely explained .

13. naveen  December 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

nice post good information

14. Ganesh  February 1, 2015 at 3:49 am

I liked the article very much and proud of being a Hindu. However the quote in the last para is incomplete. The full sloka is “Ahimsa Paramo
    Dharma//Dharma himsa thathaiva cha” – Non-violence is the ultimate dharma. So too is violence in service of dharma. Check out – http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Ahimsa_Paramo_Dharma

15. Sriram  February 1, 2015 at 4:38 am

You not only explained the very gist of Hinduism, but also gave the details mentioned in the sacred scripts be it the vedas, upanishads or gita. This is what shows that we as Hindus, learn a lot from different scriptures which itself would take one full life (taking 60 years). Hinduism, I feel is a way of life where you do not force people to convert. We chant sacred hymns to condition our soul. We do Yoga to keep ourselves fit and condition our body. We speak with each other, to show our love and respect for fellow human beings. We – The Hindu Dharma; not a religion has lots to teach the world mainly through non-violence. May the world live in peace practicing their own religions instead of bloodshed. That itself would be a great treat to our mother earth.

Thanks for your very clear explanation.

Best Regards,
    Sriram

16. saffron  February 1, 2015 at 6:33 am

Superb . I m atheist but i m Hindu. Proud bbeing

17. Sai Kishore K  February 1, 2015 at 8:26 am

Amazing write up

18. Hrudananda  February 1, 2015 at 11:12 am

This is very fine writing . I read almost all your post by you and I appreciate this one very much bcoz it started with a story/true story. I share these with my friends. Keep going on and I request you if it is possible then start these articles with a story bcoz it is interesting and makes us to intact with these story with passionately. thank u

19. Shivkumar  February 1, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Fantastic sir. Really I am proud to be “Hindu”. God to listen about hindu.

20. speedmister007@yahoo.com  February 1, 2015 at 2:03 pm

The word Hindu was first coined by Mugals. At that time Shaivaites, Vaishnavites, Puraniks, Jains etc all existed as independent religions, which was a mess for Mugals to understand while imposing Jizya tax on Indians.
    To simplify things, they invented the term ‘Hindu’ and all Indian religions were clubbed together. Thus came the name ‘Hindu Religion’ in existence.

21. SR  February 1, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Respected Sir, What you have written is NOT in Hindu Dharma but was propagated by Gandhi who twisted it to suit his convenience. Please note what is actually said in Hinduism is in the following – Ahimsa Paramo Dharma 1 Dharma Himsa Thataiva cha 11
    Non-Violence is ultimate Dharma, so too is Violence in service of Dharma. The challenge of galloping Jihad cannot be countered by thoughtlessly harping on non-violence preached by Gautama Buddha and M. K. Gandhi. In today’s global challenges it is imperative to adopt the middle path shown by Marayada Purushottama Rama and Karma Yogi Sri Krishna. Taking a human life is a very big Karmic step and this extreme step is taken when one runs out of all other options. As Lord Krishna says in BG, ‘war is the last option but one has to fight for Dharma’.

If you were to notice most of the Hindu Gods are armed to the teeth! Yet people need to understand the context of the war between good and the evil, both external and internal.

For a seeker, in Christianity, there is a disconnect with all creation. Animals don’t have soul according to it. As these religions sprang from desert lands, sanctity of life is minimum. There is every chance to deviate from Dharma( Righteousness, duties).

• Om bharath  February 4, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Well said. I agree with you.

22. Kunal  February 1, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Immature and false. Article. With false and irrational ref.

23. Ashok Kumar Chohan  February 1, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Since times immemorial , there has been a quest of man to understand that which controls all this .Man has also tried to take the help of that which is not visible to the naked eye ordinarily , but exists , and does intervene under certain circumstances , both in times of distress/danger and to improve his circumstances.Then there were those who went beyond the mundane and in a spirit of honest inquiry explored answers to three fundamental questions – who am I , where have I come from and why all this . Hinduism comprises the total compilation of all the various practices and learning’s from it , ever known to man.Where as Hinduism is certainly no religion , the Hindus believe in Sanatan Dharma , sanatan literally means timeless and dharma implies righteous way of life. Dharma was not born yesterday ,as proponents of the new dharma’s seem to believe , nor did God , if there is a God , suddenly wake up to send messenger / son to redeem mankind . In fact ,there is a continuity to this process , which has been well documented in sanatan dharma . In the Hindu way of life , man is systematically taken from the form to the formless , from rituals to deep meditative union within the self. It is like the growth of a child where it is taken from mothers milk to solid food gradually .When the Hindu reaches the formless , it is not based on dogmas and passed on knowledge , rather on intimate personal experience , where there is no doubt left , because it has all been experienced and not just learnt by rote.

24. Vignesh  February 1, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Good knowledgeable Information… Hinduism has answer to any questions….

25. mahesh kumar  February 1, 2015 at 6:17 pm

nIce and in a very simple way explained .proud to b A HINDU…

26. Kalyaan  February 1, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Nice article..

27. Ramesh  February 2, 2015 at 5:41 am

Lovely Article! The basic philosophy of Hinduism needs to be propagated to remove misunderstanding.

28. DM MAhesh  February 2, 2015 at 6:40 am

well article sir .i get more information in this article ,

29. Lakshya  February 2, 2015 at 7:13 am

Very nicely written, but for me its not about wether one is a HINDU / MUSLIM or CHRISTIAN but its a matter of faith and where you faith lies its as simple as that, WHY IS IT IN that everyone has drawn boundaries around them of religion. if you read any of the holy scriptures all of them teach us the same thing….
    One thing we should all just be true to where our FAITH is and similarly respect the faith of the other person too, no questions asked or doubts…… I Think LIFE WOULD BE MUCH BETTER THAN…

30. Balasubramanian .R  February 2, 2015 at 9:02 am

Hinduism is relatively a new term-did not exist centuries ago in India.EV Ramaswami Naikar, a staunch atheist and a close associate of Dr Ambedkar in social reform declined the latter’s suggestion to convert to Buddhism and prefered to remain a Hindu as he was by birth. This clearly shows that Hinduism does not have specificity in respect of belief in God, mode of worship of God, Theology,Philosophy, imposed religious codes of conduct (there were social codes and community codes though- community codes not identical for various communities. One is born a Hindu and there is no authority to throw him/her out of hinduism- though one can be thrown out of a community and shunned by other members of the community.The religion now called as Hinduism comprises of variety of faiths, variety of belief systems, variety of culture,variety of customs and traditions but none of these can be imposed on all the people who are called Hindus.No answer can be given to the question regarding Hindus being polytheists, monotheists or atheists. In some works polytheism co exists with mono theism- in depth thinking is needed to comprehend this and one is free not to attempt to comprehend this and continue with polytheism along with the concept of ishta devata (favourit God) and kula devata. Though Sankaracharyas are referred to as pontifs they do not wield any authority on all hindus and cannot issue any orders binding all hindus. they are not recognized as authorities by the acharyas of centres of other schools (say owing allegence to teachings of Ramanuja and Madhvacharya). thus hinduism is not a narrow religion and there is no question of it clashing with other religions.

31. abdul hakeem  February 2, 2015 at 2:16 pm

except idol worship of akaravadea hinduism is exactly same as islam and christianity which advocates nirakaravad and niranjanavad. hinduism could survive and will survive in future because of human values which is there in this community.

• Darshan  February 2, 2015 at 4:10 pm

‘Exactly same’ is far fetched I believe :). There could be similarities if you compare Vedic scriptures but if you see the way Hinduism is practiced today and mythological stories which form the basis of religious upbringing for most kids it’s a different world altogether. Most wouldn’t have read Gita and almost none would have read Vedas.

32. mitesh kumar  February 2, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Give respect and demand yours. Thats it!!

33. Indian  February 3, 2015 at 12:32 am

Why do westerners keep themselves on a pedestal and judge others? People like Darrel preaching equality should delve in their histories and check how their ancestors have looted countries like India. So much so that the entire social structure was demolished. Invaders have always influenced and the flexibility of the Hindu way of living has made way for these changes. I see no reason that a religion should be imposed. If you praise your religion, your God…be happy with it. To propagate it shouldn’t mean to force it on others.

34. tv  February 3, 2015 at 4:23 am

It amazes me to see people get converted to other religions. While omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent is seen by all religions, it is hinduism which practises. While hindus see god even in a pebble and pray, so it comes naturally to consider allah or jesus as god. It is hindu who worships all gods whole heartedly while others preach to cut others throat. Then how come a religion that has so much flexibility and touches all walks of life needs the help of other religions???????

35. Dinesh Tyagi  February 3, 2015 at 7:11 am

36. Raman Khetarpal  February 3, 2015 at 7:43 am

It is a matter of satisfaction that religion is being liked by the people. Whatever may be the religion, none can guide the things not liked by the society. One must have faith in religion whatever it may be.

37. Ratan  February 3, 2015 at 9:07 am

Excellent reply! As it is!

38. Nitin  February 4, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Well written article. Hinduism is about wisdom ” True Knowledge” which is universal to every human. For example … 1. Wishing peace for every one. 2. Not harming others or putting your set of rules on others 3. being truthful to oneself and all other creatures. 4. Following ahimsa – not to harm other in any way…..like wise all the teaching in Hinduism are universal and for the benefit of not only mankind but for all the living creatures. Nobody need to convert to Hinduism to understand it. It just teaches the Art of Living which is common for all humans.

39. Manish  February 4, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I had an interesting encounter online some time back with some muslin saudi cleric. He was trying to tell about the Islam and its beliefs and tried to somewhat frighten me since I am following Hindu practices. I patiently listened to him when he tried to teach me about Hindus and their beliefs. I explained to him and asked same questions to him.. he was not able to answer those and whenever tried was looking very fool trying to explain those things.

40. nataraj  February 4, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Great ………. one day everyone has to follow the same & this is must to have peace world. Jai hind

41. murali p  February 4, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Our simple request, you cannot know Hinduism by just reading a book. Its vast like ocean, in all Indian states n number of temples, n number of devotees, all temples are always crowded. So please don’t go for conversion just read Bhagvad Greta, Ramayana, Maha baratham and bhagavatham few from ocean

42. Anita Katakkar  February 4, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Great description of Hinduism. Thank you.

My only complaint is the grammar mistake in the last sentence, “I am a Hindu because it doesn’t conditions my mind with any faith system” (change ‘conditions’ to ‘condition’).

43. Ria  April 26, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Hinduism does not chain us. We are free to worship God in any form we like. We see God in nature and every living form. This is the beauty of this religion. We are not bound to pray to God at specific times or days. We may not pray at all and still be a Hindu. I heartedly congratulate the author and the site for the wonderful insight.

44. snehal  May 24, 2015 at 2:50 am

Om tat sat….

45. sanket Jagtap  May 24, 2015 at 3:02 am

Lovely article … I’m proud to be a Hindu…
    reply to the lone that people have made it MLM ….

Just try to think WHY peaople have reached to this point that they need to start mare ting of the rel…. there are large amount people (like you)who really wanna pass this pure knowledge of OUR religion(with all due respect to other religion and the faith) .

@author : I’d like to get in touch with you .

Please reach mea @sanket.jagtap@yahoo.com

46. Rajesh  May 24, 2015 at 7:07 am

Good works sanskriti

47. Kaister  May 24, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I have a very simple solution any idiot who says my god is the real one….chop their heads off. Sick and tired of listening to a bunch of kids arguing whose imaginary friend is the real deal and it’s fine if they just screw themselves over. Oh no they don’t stop there. They need to screw others over whom want no part of their bullshit. Just get rid of them and keep the sane ones. Makes things that much easier. What a bunch of miserable people. So so insecure with their medieval ways.

48. sujay  May 24, 2015 at 5:57 pm

well said…. proud to be a HINDU

49. SHREE  May 25, 2015 at 4:48 am

Excellent explaination.. Thanks

50. sunil  May 26, 2015 at 5:06 am

withaout ”murti-puja”, u can’t explain hinduism properly..

51. paul  June 19, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Don’t rule of your own deed and trust but don’t assume as you feels by the bible, doest matter weather your will drive you.
    assuming as been told when young..bring it in a reality check…every one in the world is listening to a message but there is no answer who is god..
    Don’t assume by feeling but see with positive.

52. Pushpa Amin  June 19, 2015 at 3:55 pm

very informative, well explained . Proud to be Hindu .

53. Aashish the Blessing  June 20, 2015 at 7:00 am

Very nice article, well-explained still succinct. Please write some more like this one i.e. with stories.

|| Sarveti Sukhinaha Santu, Sarve Santu Niramaya ||

54. Dato Dr Krishna Moorthy Appalanaidu  July 26, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Informative.
    Hinduism is a way of Life. Love all and harm no one.

55. Balasubramanian  July 28, 2015 at 2:54 pm

In my experience we were too liniment in teaching our religion to our children in the family except Brahmmin group which are rigid in following routine duties. I wish Hindus as a whole should also follow such routine rituals as part of the family. boys and girls need to understand being a hindu and following our customs without break and full faith, so that they continue to take the torch further to teach their children and beyond. It’s sad to see that we are struggling to bring our children into the hindu faith and hindu customers. Most of us going to temple, singing Bajans and celebrating festivals are the major part of Hinduism. There is much more to follow and to live like hindu following its philosophy in daily life. I hope today’s young men and women understand the importance of being hindu and following Hinduism in their daily life.

56. shah pritesh dipakkumar  July 28, 2015 at 6:46 pm

pride to be hindu

57. chitra  September 11, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Hinduism is a way of life. “Aham Brahmasmi”. I can choose to visit temple or not, I can choose to perform the rituals or not, God doesn’t really care. God is in me, as long as I don’t hurt innocent beings. Namaste means ” Namah Te ” means I bow to you, because we are equals because God is in you too. One shouldn’t be fixated on anything to understand and experience Hinduism.. It’s a ocean, no one person can explain or make X understand what Hinduism is.

58. AVDHESH K. MAHAWAR  September 11, 2015 at 2:38 pm

i love it.

59. Shashikiran Srinivasa  September 11, 2015 at 8:58 pm

I agree that a Hindu is not bound by much rules and no authority. Others cannot be converted to Hinduism is also correct. Can you act the other way round? Can a Hindu be part of a Muslim/Christian or any religion and still be a Hindu?

60. Srinath  December 18, 2015 at 7:41 am

WOW…!!! Simply Super…!!!

61. Thiagamalar Mahadevan  May 7, 2016 at 2:58 am

Hinduism is simplicity… No conversion and no forcing… Hinduism teaches believers to respect all religions as no religions teach bad things…. No need takers for this religion… it is for those who know the beauty of it…..

62. shekhar  May 7, 2016 at 4:25 pm

I am proud being a Hindu. Don’t mix up Religion nd Dharma. Yes. I believe Hindu is a Dharma nd not Religion. Dharma means Obligation. We had a many rituals in our Hindu Dharma. Every ritual we had has a scientific or spiritual meaning. Some rituals which loose the importance on the basis of time were changed or discarded. This happens only in Hindu Dharma.

63. Amalendra Saha  May 13, 2016 at 1:18 pm

@ Darrel,
    You are very rightly wrong. Unfortunately what you don’t know is “Caste system is not permitted by the Sanatan Dharma ( Hinduism ). It has been imposed by the privileged group of people of the Hindu Society to exploit the under-privileged group of people in the past and that has been deeply rooted and continuing perpetually.

64. Kandeeban  July 27, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I am an atheist but am proud to be a Hindu atheist. Here, in this Hinduism, an atheist can openly deny the presence of God and in fact, some famous (or rather infamous) people even publicly slapped the Hindu God idol with shoes (which I do not support, of course). Even after their act, they roamed the streets and cities with impunity and those people have staunch followers even after their demise long time ago.

To me, all form of Gods are equal, just some fantasy or characters that could have been aliens who ruled earth thousands of years ago and somehow mysteriously left the earth. Whatever may be the case, in the present time, there is no God. Nobody has even been able to answer in definite terms about the presence of God or to prove that God is there to watch us. Just likening God to air and claiming that God can only be understood within oneself and cannot be seen with our naked eyes and other stories are total failures in my opinion.

But Hindus wear “Viboothi” which is nothing but ash and it signifies a great truth – No matter how strong and powerful or how weak and worthless you are, you are just gonna end a fistful of ash when you are dead and got your body cremated. Doesn’t that simple Viboothi teach us a great truth? To shed all our ego and be kind to others?

There are so many customs that seem stupid in Hinduism but when you dig deeper, you will know the origin of such faith. They are not mere customs. They signify something we need to know. Unfortunately, some of us, selfish people, use that great Hinduism for our own benefit and here starts the controversy. Some claim to speak to dead people, some claim to awaken dead people in the name of God, some claim they themselves are Gods and palmistry, astrology, vasthu etc join the wagon of hoodwinking the innocent, illiterate people, thereby bringing disrepute to the whole religion. These forms of cheating do exist in other religions too but strangely only the ones in Hinduism are exposed and given wide publicity.

So, let us not argue as to whose religion is best and let us make an effort to love each other and make others lives worthy too.