Jesus Loves You, Ganesha Doesn’t ???!!!!!

Jesus Loves You, Ganesha Doesn’t ???!!!!!

Picture on the left:  **Using the latest forensic and historical discoveries and a computer, scientists have reconstructed the image of a first-century man who lived a life similar to and was around the age of Jesus. ~ Discovery channel**

Hinduism is generally associated with a multiplicity of Gods, and it does not advocate the worship of one particular deity. The Gods and Goddesses of Hinduism amount to thousands, all representing the many aspects of only one supreme Absolute called “Brahman”. However, people who don’t know this, misinterprets the fact that Hinduism has a multitude of Gods! What one should understand is that although there are many manifestations of Brahman in the forms of deities each deity is really an aspect of the Brahman or, ultimately Brahman itself.

Ignorance Is Bliss!
The other day, I received an email with the shocking subject – “Attack on Hinduism” – from one of our users Jim Wilson, who was appalled by what the children’s section of an “Objective” Christian site that his daughter was viewing, had to say. Jim forwarded me the link to the web page with a line saying that this was a blatant attempt to pass on personal bias and prejudicial attitude to younger generations.

Jesus Loves You, Ganesha Doesn’t!
You’ll be shocked at what this fundamentalist Christian site tells its kid users. About halfway down the page a box item entitled “Habu’s Corner” depicts a Ganesha-like figure answering the question: “How many gods do you have?”

Habu’s reply: “I don’t know… I have lost count!”

This is followed by the comment: “Wouldn’t you rather have just one God who loves you a bunch than a bunch of gods that don’t love you at all?” …then comes the more explicit advisory: “Jesus loves everybody, even the unsaved like Habu! Remember to pray for Habu and others like him that they may find Jesus and accept Him into their hearts!

What do you have to say of such acts by Christian fundamentalist propagandists? Catch them young…!

Here’re Jim’s comments: “I respect their right to believe whatever they wish to believe, but I am opposed to the aggressive manner in which they attempt to indoctrinate others and the manner in which they attempt to control the thinking of their children.”

Back to basic… let’s delve deeper into the issue of multiplicity of Gods in Hinduism.

What is Brahman?
In Hinduism, the impersonal Absolute is called “Brahman”. According to this pantheistic belief, everything in existence, living or non-living comes from it. Therefore, Hindus regard all things as sacred. We cannot equate Brahman with God, because God is male and is describable, and this takes away from the concept of the Absolute. Brahman is formless or “nirakara”, and beyond anything that we can conceive of. However, it can manifest itself in myriad forms, including Gods and Goddesses, the “sakara” form of the Brahman.

According to Prof. Jeaneane Fowler of the University of Wales College, Newport: “The relationship between the many manifest deities and the unmanifest Brahman is rather like that between the sun and its rays. We cannot experience the sun itself but we can experience its rays and the qualities, which those rays have. And, although the sun’s rays are many, ultimately, there is only one source, one sun. So the Gods and Goddesses of Hinduism amount to thousands, all representing the many aspects of Brahman”.

~ Subhamoy Das

18 Responses to "Jesus Loves You, Ganesha Doesn’t ???!!!!!"

1. Amber  March 1, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I grew up Christian, Pentacostal and Charismatic, so I am not surprised by what Jim found on that website. I heard the same thing as a child in church. Now, although I am not Hindu, I am also not Christian. I believe in The Absolute the way you describe it here as Brahman. I also believe that, just as in Hindu belief, The Absolute will come and allow us to experience it in other forms. I believe that Jesus is one of those forms, just as Ganesha is. My question is this: In the website that is cited in this article, it explicitly says that “Jesus loves you, Ganesha doesn’t.” This article served to teach a bit about basic Hindu belief, however, it did not address the love aspect of the statement. Are there teachings about the love of the Gods toward creation?

• Rohit  March 1, 2014 at 7:17 pm

This article is not about love of Gods toward His creation.. It is more about the next statement which was cited in the website – “Wouldn’t you rather have just one God who loves you a bunch than a bunch of gods that don’t love you at all?”.. This particular article is about unmanifest Brahman being the ultimate source and multiple manifest deities as its own creation.

• Amber  March 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for your reply Rohit. The reason I asked my question is because in Christianity it is important to stress that Jesus loves you and other Gods don’t. In learning about other religions and spiritual beliefs than the one I was raised in, I found it important to be able to compare specific claims made by Christianity with those that can be found in other books/beliefs. To a child who hears that one loves and the other doesn’t, regardless of number, makes them automatically move toward the lover. Who doesn’t want to be loved? I realize the article was about the multiplicity, but in Christianese terms, multiplicity doesn’t matter as much as the love aspect. After all, Christians have Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit.

• Rohit  March 8, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Hi Amber. Sorry for late reply, I did not receive any notification in my email. I’ve read Bible and I know how it manipulates the tender mind. In any of the Hindu texts you would not find any mention that ours is the only God(s).

2. Rohit  March 1, 2014 at 7:14 pm

@Amber above..

3. Sadhu  March 2, 2014 at 3:47 am

Undeniably, the take-away message of the Christian article is: one god who loves you – versus – many gods who don’t love you.

Followed by: Jesus loves you (even if you are so lost as to love gods who don’t love you).

Having been (unsuccessfully) indoctrinated by Christians from a very early age I am intimately familiar with their tactics and ultimate strategy to convert everyone to the exclusive view proselytised by Christianity – that their way is the only way, and that ultimately, only Christians can be ‘saved’ and that ‘other’ gods are must be of the devil, and there followers consigned to eternal damnation. Go to almost any so-called Christian blog on the internet to see evidence supporting what I am saying – sometimes, to a quite shocking degree.

• Rohit  March 2, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Yes, I agree with you. In Sanatan Dharma, we say that there are several paths to reach The One, but in Christianity it is professed that There’s the only way to reach Their The One.

4. Vinod  March 5, 2014 at 2:11 pm

i have grown up Catholic all my life and today I am a proud Hindu. What i find really disgusting about being Christian is the belief that we are always right and that we have the mind of God, that we can say what God wants and judge others because they are different. What i loved about being a Hindu is the desire to be humble, loving, accepting and kind to others no matter how different we are. This ego of the Christian masses is what is today destroying themselves. As said by the Great Ghandi when asked why he hasn’t become a Christian though he quotes from Christ, he replied that he has never met a Christian. Many of my friends ask me why i became hindu after growing in a strong Catholic family and I tell them that never have I found a religion in which focuses on my personal relation with God and does not entail others to dictate to me how to pray, live and love. i have never been in a religion that is accepting of the differences of others.

• Rohit  March 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Welcome Vinod. Is this your new Hindi name? In Santan Dharma, there are no obligations and mandatory rules. You are free to worship in any way you like. There are 9 kinds of Bhaktis in Hindu scriptures.

5. agastya  March 9, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Hi Vinod..

all who have faith in their respective religion seem to have no choice but to ” accept” their religious scriptures/ prophets/ gurus,,, but interestingly ….the God, the Absolute about whom all religions talk about , has given us birth with ‘brain’, with capacity of discerning between right and wrong, between valuable , worthy and worthless, crap…..and it is upto us if we keep faith on God and use the capacity or not…..

i am sure that one can be a good christen, muslim or hindu and a good human being simultaneously …..

it is also interesting to observe all great saints/ enlightened gurus of all religions seem to relied on their brains ….unlike their ” followers” who refused to use it at all….

• Einy  August 2, 2015 at 12:13 am

Hi agastya and all,

thank you for your words. I would just say, that being a good believer must in first place mean that one is a good human being, where “good” means “good in a good sense of good”. There are so many “good in bad sense of good” believers, who forgot to be good human beings or even human beings at all. And that is always ones own responsibility in the first place.

6. Jacob  April 21, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Please no primitive christian fundamental stuff..!

7. shankar  April 24, 2014 at 1:45 pm

please, explain this ” god is male” …

8. Sanatana  May 9, 2014 at 12:13 pm

god is neither male,nor female nor the 3rd gender..he doesn’t have any of natural qualities that a human does..and we humans can never imagine about his qualities.he is totally perfect,.2nd basic question-Explain revolution after adam and eve? how could they make billions of species including jesus??..and there are no 2 different entities like saakara and niraakara brahman..He is niraakara since we humans can never imagine about his aakara..he is saakara because he is beyond humans imagination..He too has arms legs other entities but none of them are praakrata.

9. Avi  May 10, 2014 at 6:36 pm

God Exists???

10. thulasi krishna  June 2, 2014 at 7:26 am

thanks man, the last word by a professor, is enough to get the answer,
    though i am an hindhu i am confused about this, but this made me inspirimg.

11. arun  August 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm

our religion considers the whole world as a deity, we believe everyone is born divine and you dont have to believe in anything to be divine or to be forgiven. on the other hand in christianity you are a born sinner and you will burn in hell if you dont put a drop of holy water on your forehead wen ur baby. our religion considers our parents and our teachers as gods. and children are taught a man in the sky loves you. and the biggest influence in their lives like thier parents and teachers comes second. strange world it is.

12. ankit  December 21, 2015 at 1:02 pm

the diety belongs to us and it lies within us it does not matter either jesus loves you or lord ganesha the more important thing is you love them or not its not necessary if u r a hindu u can only love ganesha u can also love jesus and vice versa