Open letter to Yo Yo Honey Singh from a parent

Thanks for the crassness

Open letter to Yo Yo Honey Singh from a parent

Dear Yo Yo Honey Singh,

I am writing this open letter to express my gratitude for the inexplicable way in which you have changed the life of our kids. Not a day passes in my life when I do not see the impact of your poetic songs and soulful music on their language, which has become extremely colourful, and their deliberations that have become centred on profound subjects like vodka, short skirts, suck and rhyming four-letter words.

What the fish, you would say. But I am really indebted to you for introducing a five-year-old and his equally impressionable elder brother to the secret garden of life at an early age.

My five-year-old, for instance, knows what many discover much later in life: that you can dance saari raat after drinking char botal of vodka. Though, I am of the opinion that much of this dancing would be done lying senselessly supine after the first bottle of your prescribed mood-maker.

One of the perils of urban life is the unexpected, unannounced assault on the ears you experience when you pass our streets and somebody lets out expletives that have become the real alphabet of our lingua franca. By bringing choicest abuses right into our homes, through your songs, you have saved us from the embarrassment of explaining to kids the meaning and métier of India’s street-language. Now that they are so used to hearing them in your songs, kids can easily go out in the mad, bad world without getting an aural shock. Perhaps, they are even capable of shooting a few back.

Innocence is one of the privileges of childhood. Not so long ago, parents, teachers and guardians would do everything possible to ensure that children do not lose it before the time is right. Clearly, the approach was flawed.

I remember once my classmates wanted to dance to the beats of ‘Chadh Gayo Re Paapi Bichua’ at our school’s annual function. But the principal of our convent rejected it, saying the song had erotic undertones, without bothering to explain what erotic meant.

On another occasion, I remember a friend being walloped by his father for listening to ‘Jumma Chumma’ at home on his cassette player and on another an entire class being made to kneel down for singing ‘Chabi kho jaaye’ during a class antakshri.

Two decades ago, when Govinda sarkao-ed his khatiya, there was so much criticism that in one of his next films, he had to apologetically explain on-screen that ‘Maine jo sarkayee khatiya, aap ko laga bada ghatiya.’ And Karisma Kapoor had to turn into a Baby after people screamed her sexy-sexy was ugly.

Now, going by the noise that you hear at homes, on TV channels and at school functions and the stupor among those who would have protested a decade ago, you seem to have sent custodians of our next generation’s childhood to some noisy discotheque of the world, armed obviously with your latest collection.

Nobody is complaining, nobody is objecting. And, perhaps, rightly so. For wouldn’t you have sung back, ‘#$% mein dum hai to band karwa lo?

So, thank you for making Choli ke peechey kya hai sound like a bhajan in comparison with what you sing. Twenty years after we found it difficult to listen to that song, we can at least now turn up the volume in public.

Music is meant to introduce listeners to the mellifluous rhythms of life. And a song’s lyrics are for many the first introduction to poetry. But your songs put no such load on the mind or the soul. Your psychedelic beats and zany lyrics are aimed at making the listener inebriate, gyrate and titillate.

With your techno-babble, you are creating a generation of youngsters and children who would never know that anything other than what you create could be music, anything more than what you write could be poetry and anything except you croon could be singing.

Thank you for helping me save the money I would have spent on making my children discover the poetry of Saahir, the cadences of Khayyam and the eccentric melody of Kishore.

This morning, I tried to introduce my elder son, with the ulterior motive of weaning him from your songs, to Madan Mohan and his classics. This is how it went:

“Where is the music? How can we dance? I can just hear a woman sing (Lata Mangeshkar singing Naina Barse). Can we now play Ise kehte hain hip-hop?”

“Could you please turn down the volume a bit? I can’t understand a word of it (Rafi singing Rang aur noor ki baraat).”

Finally, I tried to explain how great masters sang their compositions. As soon as Madan Mohan started singing ‘Mai ri,’ the Yo-Yo fan derisively asked how many of them had the composer sung? A few, I replied.

‘Hunh, what’s the big deal?” “Yo-Yo sings all his songs.”

Thank you, Yo-Yo, for ridding our children of the burden of our legacy. I can now throw away my collection of vinyls, cassettes and CDs. You would ensure that ‘party yun hi chalegi.’

~ Sandipan Sharma

17 Responses to "Open letter to Yo Yo Honey Singh from a parent"

1. harsha  July 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

u r soo correct sandipan sharma….the word today….doesnt have any meaning nor rhythm….

2. Prema  July 23, 2014 at 2:46 am

Very unfortunate that our kids loose their innocence because of exposure to such vulgar songs. Is there nobody/no law to help us in stopping such things? Does free speech and expression mean this? Very sad..

3. taurus_bala@rediffmail.com  July 23, 2014 at 1:29 pm

YOYO’s father didn’t bother at all a bit for his son getting degenerated in his young age itself or maybe he didnt know who his dad is. Simply nothing stopped his bad upbringing is taking a toll on our kids. My sincere request to all sincere fathers is all these crappy things will come to a extinct sooner or later. Dont worry and lay your burden on bagwan.

4. Shubhi  July 24, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I had been thinking of doing one such bashing on a public platform some time, as I was tired of telling my friends & family how much I loath Honey’s songs & that world would have been a better place without him) But have not been able to do it. Reason is the right to “freedom”, that our constitution gives – to express yourself & to recreation of your choice. And given that I am not a mother/grandmother etc…, one may simply say – “You dont like it, dont listen to it”
    So, I appreciate your letter & hope there are more parents out there, who would rather shield there kids’ innocence, than dancing to his lecherous tunes.

5. aakanksha  July 25, 2014 at 2:56 am

Dear sandipan, i bow down to you for bringing out beautifully the Tyranny of the artist in question. i wish it had not been that way. But you know what is encouraging is that as kids grow old they start appreciating good music and lyrics. I suggest you introduce them to RD Burman first. Older version of fast music may still be palatable to them.Heck, they may know some of it through remixes already! The change wouldn’t be jarring and they can still dance. I am glad you are trying to introduce them to soulful music. Keep it up-all the best from New Delhi

6. Mitu  July 25, 2014 at 11:32 pm

It’s a shame!……if I could raise my boys who are born & brought up in Australia ( now 26 & 27 ) with the best combinations of good western & Indian values while living in Australia for life……then why can’t parents in India do the same while living in India or anywhere in the world? They have become slack & selfish……don’t want to spend quality time with kids, ‘train their brain’ with good examples & healthy thoughts & not to listen or follow any bad footsteps of anyone or any culture. It’s very easy to play the ‘blame game’ about the rotten society or Honey Singh or whoever for their kids’ bad upbringing!…..good parenting is the TOUGHEST job in the whole world which needs lot of sacrifice, time, devotion, care & share…..days of ‘lecturing’ only is long gone!

7. Vanita J  July 27, 2014 at 10:20 am

@ Mitu
    I’m totally in agreement with you…..it’s only you who can have control over things rather than blaming others…

8. Manish Tewari  August 28, 2014 at 9:08 am

No .. you are wrong . there is no point is raising such point against anybody’s business. I understand your concern but you should be able to handle people around you. No point in expecting that he will shut down his business and start singing some bhajan n all. Those sounds are not made for your kid , handle them don’t blame others. Who are we to teach anybody about singing or anything when other person is getting everything in the world for their creations. What is good or bad for you can’t be universal truth.
    Stop simply trying to stop others and take at least responsibility of your family.

You dont like music stop listing them rather blaming world. No point in fighting with change, try to find a way to live/handle the changes , that will help in a better way .

9. Balasubramanyam  August 28, 2014 at 10:17 am

His name is Yo-Yo Honey Singh which clearly states that he does not have stability of whatever you may call. Body, mind and soul. He thinks he is God’s blessing on us and behaves like one.And as usual we have all our stupid B’wood stars dancing like morons to his crap called music. This is also a result of the indisciplined upbringing he has had.So Honey if you want to be famous then sing good songs, soulful songs and meaningful songs. Legends like Manna Day, Mohd. Rafi, Kishore Kumar, S.P.Balasubramanyam have treaded this path with great success. Stop ranting and learn singing.

10. Deepika  August 28, 2014 at 10:48 am

These kind of people are a disgrace to our society

11. anu  August 28, 2014 at 11:24 am

I agree with mitu ji. It is very easy to blame. I have seen so many kids not listening to his music who prefer classics weather Indian or Western. Their parents play an important role on it not restricting them blindly but making them understand and responsible for their activities. Mr. sharma please don’t misunderstand that I am taking side of a slang rapper but if you remember we used to have a saying ” dupehar mein pair jalne lage to hum jameen nahi dhakte but chapal pehante hai”. No offence but spend some quality time with your kids introduce them to good things. I am sure they will find their interest increasing in substantial matter.

12. Shobhik Chakraborty  August 28, 2014 at 11:34 am

I am sure your child can figure out something. Honey singhs ‘s music is not the only thing in this world. He might love dancing on his groovy music. But i as today’s generation exposed to different genre of music, exposed to education, and someday your child will open youtube listen to Kishore , Rafi , Mukesh . Nobody can escape soulful music if it is good to his ears you might not have to lecture him . 🙂 .. ” party yunhi chalegi is not the only thing in music and in life .. trust me .

13. Deb kumar Roy  August 29, 2014 at 4:40 am

I think you are underestimating your kids. Study them carefully and you will find they like all kinds of music, from dance to soul, even oldies, maybe in remix avatar. BTW if you listen to the lyrics of the vodka song, I am sure you will change your opinion. It spells out the bad effects of being the person depicted. Kids understand all these messages, even though they do not acknowledge this, but we should have faith & trust in our kids. Kids know all about stuff like this, and it is not because of this song. Songs area reflection of the society, and not vice versa.

14. Brinda  August 29, 2014 at 6:48 am

I disagree with your point of view. Yes his lyrics may be offensive to some, but you have the choice to NOT listen to it. I screen what my 4 year listens to so much so that she has no clue who honey singh. Children like music, they like to play, its up to us how we engage them for those type of activities. Unfortunately, now a days we take the easy way out. We take them to watch movies and make them listen to such stuff really. I am sorry but parenting needs to be blamed. If we make conscientious choices and expose our children to the right kind of media, they learn the right kind of things.

15. Sourav  August 29, 2014 at 9:41 am

Interesting post … The writer seems to have listened to almost all Honey Singh songs in great detail either on his own or through his kids … But yes its clear he found them atrocious and injurious

16. Ananya  September 3, 2014 at 11:55 am

I would like to ask one question to Sandipan. Do u also allow your kids to watch adult websites, A-rated movies etc? The man is earning his daily bread in a entertainment industry. He is doing his job because it is his will of a carer path that he has chosen for himself. If you do not want your kids following him you simply put restrictions on them of watching his videos and listening to his tracks the way you would not allow them to go watch other adult content entertainment.
    There are many such videos, music and movies in the entertainment industry. I am sure u have never thought of writing such a letter to the hollywood industry. Why point out on this individual for making money in a way millions of people around the world are doing.
    It is the parents responsibility to keep a track of what their children watch on TV. There as options these days for child lock as well. If your child has already learnt things you think is not feasible for their age, i am sorry to say you have not been strict on your children and maybe its time for you to roll up your sleeves and make some ground rules in your house for your kids.

17. Aprajita  September 3, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I agree to Mr Sandipan Sharma but it is your child’s fault that they dont listen to Md. Rafi, Lata Manegeshkar and all.We also listen to honey singh’s songs but on other side we listen to these great old singers too.And to all gaurdians the taste of one’s child doesn’t depend on the way you rear up your children.The taste can be anything and In todays world too old melodies and rap songs both have their own importance. When we are upset then we dont want to listen to honey singh ,we listen old melodies only and when its time to chill out we listen to honey singh.So u Shouldnt blame him for your child’s taste and views regarding old melodies….