Toe nail fungus medically known as Onychomycosis is a fungal infection that affects the toenails. The actual location of the infection is under the surface of the nail plate and on the nail bed. The fungi known as dermatophytes, nondermatophyte mold and yeasts are the main cause of toe nail infections. Places such as the swimming pools, showers and locker rooms are the typical haunts of fungi which are nothing but organisms of the parasitic type. People suffering from diabetes, circulatory malfunctions and immune deficiency are especially susceptible to such infections. Oral medicines such as itraconazole, terbinafine, fluconazole cause serious stomach upsets. But is there any other way out? Surely natural home remedies for nail fungus are at hand.
Natural Treatment for Nail Fungus Cure
Give below are few tips for the natural treatment of Toe nail fungus. These home remedies or natural treatment has very little or no side effects.
- Toe nail fungus cure using Tea Tree Oil – It is because of its antiseptic and anti-fungal properties; tea tree oil is quite effective in treatment. Undiluted tea tree oil mixed with olive oil applied on the affected area is very useful. The tea tree oil can be used only also. After application one should allow it to remain for ten to fifteen minutes and then gently scrub the affected nail with a toothbrush.
- Listerine Mouthwash as remedy to toe nail fungus – Listerine is a very powerful antiseptic containing several compounds like salicylate, thymol and euchalyptol. These have high anti fungal properties. When applied to the toe nail in mixture with natural acids like the apple cider vinegar or lemon juice the mixture works far better to cure toe nail fungus. The affected toe should be dipped for at least twenty minutes at least once a day. One should dry the feet thoroughly after the dip.
- Toe nail fungus cure using apple cider vinegar and warm water – Dip the affected toe nail in a mixture of warm water and cider vinegar. Let it remain in it for quarter of an hour and then rub it dry or use hair dryer. This an effective form of complementary treatment.
- A scrub using coarse ground rice flour and few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar is a very good exfoliating scrub. Applying it on the affected area and the surrounding and then after some time scrub it off using cotton swab.
- Lavender oil mixed with tea tree oil is also a home remedy for toe nail fungus. While lavender oil fights infection the tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic. The mixture should be applied with a cotton swab or ball twice or thrice a day. It also stops skin irritation. One should remember to dilute this mixture before application as they contain compounds which are volatile. The mixture can be diluted in olive oil. It should be applied at bed time and left to remain overnight. Wearing woolen socks to trap body heat quickens the healing process after application.
- A mixture of oregano and olive oil is also a natural home remedy. Two drops of oregano with a tablespoon full of olive oil applied on the affected area for three weeks does the cure. Oregano has antibacterial, antiviral and analgesic properties. Almond oil can also be used as carrier oil.
- An extract of the olive leaf which is an anti-fungal agent is no less effective
- Feet soaked for half and hour in warm water mixed with apple cider vinegar and there after dried thoroughly is a good natural remedy
- One can also try soaking one’s feet in rubbing alcohol for about twenty minutes. There it should be thoroughly dried
- Hydrogen peroxide (3%solution) mixed with equal proportion of water does a good job in healing toe nail fungus. The affected toe nail should be dipped in the solution for twenty minutes. There after it should be thoroughly dried.
- Probiotic food such as yogurt, kefir included in the daily diet works wonders in curing the body of toe nail fungus
- A paste of turmeric powder and water applied on the affected nail and then left to dry and thereafter rinsed off and properly dried is a natural cure for toe nail fungus
- Onion, our favorite addendum to veg and non-veg recipes, is a very good natural cure for toe nail fungus. Onion peeled and cut to slices and then rubbed on to the affected area of the nail of the tow for sometimes is an effective treatment too.
- Soaking cotton balls in concentrated lime juice and then rubbing it on to affected area is one of the easily available natural remedy for toe nail fungus
- After coming back from public laces like the swimming pools , showers , locker rooms and spas one should wash the feet thoroughly to avoid any secondary infection
- Vitamin E oil applied twice daily is an effective cure for nail fungus
It is up to the patient to use his discretion to choose from this host of natural remedies for cure of toe nail fungus.