What is Acid Reflux?
Due to indigestion, the digestive acids from the stomach flow up into the esophagus. This causes acid reflux and results in burning sensation in the heart region. The symptoms of acid reflux include bloating, sour feeling in the food passage, flatulence, etc.
If you are experiencing acid reflux symptoms, treat it immediately. Neglecting it can result in greater problems since the lining of the esophagus will get destroyed and will lead to greater problems.
Causes of Acid Reflux
Acid reflux occurs due to a variety of reasons. The main reason is due to failure of a sphincter muscle to contract after swallowing food. Reasons contributing to this failure are:
- Being Obese
- Going to sleep or lying down immediately after having meals
- High intake of processed and oil rich foods
- Over eating
- Excess caffeine
- Excess Alcohol
- Mental health (Stress, depression, etc)
Healthy Habits to cure Acid Reflux
It is necessary that each one of us follow healthy food habits. Though it’s difficult to be 100% compliant, it is essential that we follow as much as possible. Some of the essential good food habits are:
- Drink a lot water
- Do not drink water immediately before and after taking food
- Consuming fibre rich food
- Eat with moderate speed (Do not eat fast)
- Moderate exercise to start with
- Consuming atleast a few raw vegetables and fruits on a daily basis
- Avoid foods that are acidic in nature (Ex: tomatoes, chocolate, citric fruits, garlic, etc)
- Avoid wearing tight belts
- Wear loose garments
Temporary and immediate relief from Acid Reflux
Following are some quick remedies that give temporary relief
- Consuming a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar along with little water
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda in half cup of water and consume it
- Half tumbler of Aloe Vera juice
Effective Natural Home Remedies for for Acid Reflux and Heartburn
Aloe Vera Juice:
Aloe Vera is very effective in curing acid reflux problems. Take an ounce of Aloe Vera juice daily before having food. You will get a good relief gradually.
Carrot or Cabbage juice:
Carrots and cabbages are naturally available vegetables which are very effective in curing acid reflux problems. It is better to consume one cup juice of carrot / cabbage daily.
Essential vegetables and fruits:
Following are very effective vegetables and fruits that combat acid reflux problems. Vegetables include Basil leaves, ginger, herbal teas, mustard, Fennel seeds, etc. Fruits include Red apples, grapes, etc. Consuming a piece of apple after having food gives a great relief.
Fasting is a very effective home remedy in curing problems of acid reflux. Do not consume any solid food for a day. If you feel very hungry take juices or a couple of fruits. You will get a great relief.
Ginger extract with lemon juice:
Take a piece of ginger, crush it and extract the juice into a saucer. Cut a lemon and ectract the juice into the saucer and mix it. Drink it in one gulp. This is a great home and natural remedy which is very effective in curing acid reflux.
Honey is a great medicine and has the capability to cure the food wall lining. Take a spoon of honey before going to bed. You can also take 2 more spoons during morning and afternoon.
Papaya contains an enzyme called papain which dissolves the proteins. You can take this after having food. It increases digestion.
You need to drink a minimum of 2 liters of water daily.
Healthy Mind and Body Exercise:
Lack of body exercise is one of the main reasons for the foods not getting digested properly. Also, if you are undergoing lot of stress it creates acid reflux problems. Try doing some moderate exercise daily and do some meditation daily for atleast 10 minutes so that your mind and body are healthy.
Herbs effective in treating Acid Reflux problems:
- Hyssop: The scientific name of the herb is Hyssopus officinalis. Also called as European mint, Curdukotu, etc. The herb is very effective in curing the lining of the stomach.
- Fenugreek Seed: The scientific name of the herb is Trigonella foenum-graecum. Common names include Fenigreek seed, Hay Seed, Methi. This herb has the capability to absorb excess stomach acid and is rich in fibre, thereby easing digestion.
- German Chamomile: Matricaria recutita is the scientific name. Common names include Pineapple Weed, Blue Chamomile, etc. This herb is very effective in treating acid reflux problems. There are no known side effectss.
- Agrimony: The scientific name of the herb is Agrimonia gryposepala. Also called as Stickwort, Cocklebur, etc. This is a great herb and is very effective when consumed with milk.
- Wood Betony: The scientific name of the herb is Stachys officinalis. Also called as Purple Betony. It removes unnecessary acid from the stomach and eases digestion.
- Fennel Seeds: This is very effective in providing smooth muscles to the digestive organs.
- Slippery Elm: This herb is very effective in coating the stomach lining and curing indigestion.