Back pain may occur in the upper, middle, or lower back; it is most often experienced in the lower back. When the pain aggravates, it tends to spread to both sides of the waist and hips. When the pain becomes very acute, Back pain can develop in association with a number of causes, including muscle strain, injury to the back, overuse, muscle disorders, pressure on a nerve root, poor posture, and many others. Pregnant women, smokers, construction workers, and people who do repetitive lifting all have increased risk of back pain.
- Low back pain
- Pain in any part of the back
- Pain may radiate to the buttocks or upper leg(s)
THE MAIN CAUSE OF LOW BACK PAIN ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA CAN BE COUNTED AS:
- Sedentary lifestyle, stress, overuse or under use of the back, postural mistakes
- Infection in the spinal cord or the nerves produces fever and lethargy
- Spinal tumor compresses the spine or nerve roots and cause pain
- Lack of exercise or incorrect exercise
- Too much weight or overweight
Ayurveda, Indian holistic medical system is based upon the universal natural law of balancing the doshas, vata, pitta & kapha, which are constituted by the five elements (air, ether, fire, water, & earth) that make up the physical body. When one or more of these doshas go out of balance diseases like lower back problems affect the spine’s flexibility and strength which causes pain.
- Treatment in Ayurveda is to bring the vitiated ‘dosha’ back to the state of equilibrium and thereby to the state of health.
- For treating low back pain, internal as well as external treatments are done.
- Detoxification through taking castor oil three times per week for one month to get rid of excess apana.
- Panchakarma treatments help in relieving backache and correcting abnormalities in which organic oils and herbs are used.
- Enema: Herbal oil induced to lubricate the intestinal wall. Nourishing and pacifying to the body.
- Basti: Is a herbal enema treats the entire length of the colon. Not only is feces flushed from the system but also ama (toxins) is removed from the tissues. Health and balanced colon function is restored as tissues and organs are rebuilt.
- Yoga postures that promote focus and strengthening without reproducing back pain. Start with simple back-bends, such as Locust, Cat, and Sunbird. To keep the spine aligned practice Hero Pose.
- Strong even breathing emphasizing the inhale, especially into the areas of pain.
CAUSES OF BACK PAIN:
The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of back pain:
- Back Injury
- Ligament damage
- Muscle damage
- Direct injury
- Spinal disc damage
- Back strain
- Back muscle spasm
- Excessive exertion
- Excessive lifting
- Unaccustomed strain on the back
- Disc disorders
- Slipped disc
- Spinal arthritis
- Cervical spondylosis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
SOME CAUSES OF REFERRED BACK PAIN IN WOMEN:
- Period pain
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Uterus malposition
- Cervix cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Prolapsed uterus
- Retroversion of uterus
- Chronic salpingitis
- Pelvic abscess
- Chronic cervicitis
- Uterine tumour
- Twisted ovarian cyst
It is better to detect the low back pain early and all cases need to be evaluated by your expert Ayurvedic doctor for diagnosis and treatment. A tailored treatment is done according to individual body constitution and accordingly following life style modifications are to be made.
LIFESTYLE TIPS FOR MANAGING BACK PAIN:
- Avoid exposure to cold weather
- Swimming is a good exercise
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Avoid high-heeled shoes
- Avoid a sagging bed
- If you are a computer professional or an office going person, be careful not to sit in a stretch and strain yourself for a long time
- Reduce the consumption of vata-increasing foods
- Follow a daily routine as regards to time of meals, number of meals, time to and from bed, exercise, relaxing
- For leisure time choose calming activities such as quiet walks in nature or parks
- Live in a warm and moist climate where you can get fresh air and sunshine
- Undergoing periodical warm oil massage or spinal bath
- Eat warm cooked meals that are a little oil, not dry
- Minimize sexual activity when you have back pain
- Make it a habit of doing yoga regularly