Healthy immune system is a vital part of healthy body and mind. Our immune system attacks many micro and macro organisms from infecting our body. When we talk about immunity, generally we believe or rather think it as a physical attribute. A great immune system also includes the mental health.
Immunity is termed as Ojus in Ayurveda. Ojus are considered the vitality of an individual. Ojus literally means healthy immunity system and Ama the adverse, weakened system. Ojus and Ama are two distinct aspects in Ayurveda. It is like fire and water. When Ojus present in the body, there is no room for Amas and vice versa.
Ojus – An Overview
Ojus refer to a stable, pure and positive element gained from the digested food. Ojus circulate like blood in the veins all through the tissues of the body. Ojus relieves pain, physical discomforts, balance the body and mind, impart clarity, stable the emotions, etc.
In a simpler and lighter tone, Ojus can be termed as crucial, ultimate and optimal nutrition, nourishment derived from the healthiest choice of digested foods. Ama refers to malnourished state of body and mind!
The desire to have a perfect health commence with building Ojus, which automatically involves elimination of Ama from the body. According to Ayurvedic context, Ojus refer to energy of life, nectar of life. If we have Ojus in our body, we feel blissful, a state of ecstasy where we obscured the development of any diseases!
Signs of Ojus
How to know if you have Ojus, of course the great body and mind? Read and make sure that you experience these signs.
- You will fresh, energetic and rested when you wake-up in the morning.
- Your skin got its natural glow
- Your body is light, you feel lighter irrespective of how much you weigh on a scale.
- You enjoy a energy flow from morning to night
- Your mind is clear and stable with no confusion
- Your tongue is pink
- Your body doesn’t have a bad odor
- You eat regularly with proper hungry
- You don’t get sick often
Now, let us look at how to build Ojas with Ayurveda.
Building up Ojus with Food
Building up Ojus is majorly about what we eat. Create uninterrupted flow of Ojus with right choice of nutritious foods. These foods are grouped as ‘Sattvic’ in Ayurveda. Needless to say, Sattvic foods are vegetarian foods. The body easily digests the Sattvic foods and derives nourishment from it.
Recover from Malnourished state to perfect Ojus
Include these foods in a higher quantity if you have a poor immunity, lack nutrition, or suffer from mal-nutrition, the presence of Ama in your body.
- Organic milk, butter milk
Don’t eat these foods – Body cannot convert Foods into Ojus, rather convert into Ama
We are what we eat, it includes both body and mind. Many times, we think our body as garbage and eat loads of food. This prohibits our body to build Ojus from choice of food we eat. Following is the list of foods that we should avoid as our body cannot convert these into Ojus. Simply, we don’t get sufficient nutrition from these foods.
- Meat and Poultry
- Processed foods
- Artificial sweeteners
- Reheated, frozen, canned foods
- Excessively salty and sour foods
- Fried foods with excess oil
- Alcohol and smoking
Building Ojus with food is the base for vitality. Following are the other ways to build up Ojus with Ayurveda.
Build up Ojus Physically
- Seasonal Eating: Eat the foods that represent the season, available naturally in season, available in abundance in each season.
- Go for cleansing and detoxifying, Panchakarma to improve the digestive system.
- Eat only when you are hungry, don’t eat when you are angry or bored. Giving enough time to digest foods develops Ojus.
- Drink adequate water, preferably hot water to suppress the Ama.
- Use nurturing herbs as seasoning agents.
- Stay away from eating raw foods except fruits as Ayurveda is about well-cooked foods.
Build up Ojus Mentally and Psychologically
- Meditate at least 20 to 30 minutes a day to relax your mind and calm your body. Meditation connects the body and mind
- Breathe deeply to curb down stress and improve blood circulation
- Take oil bath periodically, preferably warm oil massage before you bath to soothe your senses, mind.
- Get adequate sleep
- Spend time with your family and friends
Follow these steps and lead a healthy blissful life.
~ Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari, Ayurvedic doctor, Panchakarma specialist, Holistic healer, Yoga teacher and Herbalist.